2018 Acura MDX vs. 2018 BMW X5 sDrive35i/xDrive35i
Launched in 1999, the X5 is BMW’s largest SUV and was all new for 2014 and is essentially unchanged for 2018. It comes with a choice of turbocharged 6-cylinder or V-8 engines, as well as a 4-cylinder plug-in. An 8-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models. 6 cylinder models come with a choice of sDrive rear-wheel or xDrive all-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is standard on V-8 and plug-in hybrid models. The MDX competes with 6-cylinder sDrive35i and xDrive35i models. While the X5 has become the benchmark for SUVs in this class, it doesn’t offer many of the advanced features you’ll find on the MDX.
Acura MDX advantages over BMW X5 sDrive35i/xDrive35i
• The MDX uses a larger-displacement V-6 engine that doesn’t require an expensive turbocharger to make power. In addition, it
offers a number of fuel-saving technologies like Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®) for improved fuel efficiency.1
• Standard 9-speed automatic transmission with pushbutton gear selector (vs. 8-speed and conventional gear selector)
• More sophisticated torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system
• Smaller turning circle diameter (curb-to-curb) (38.7 feet vs. 41.7 feet)
• More front legroom (41.4 inches vs. 40.4 inches)
• Longer powertrain warranty (6 year/70,000 miles vs. 4 years/50,000 miles)
• The MDX comes with a host of standard and available features that you won’t find on the X5 sDrive35i/xDrive35i:
––Standard Agile Handling Assist®2
––Available GPS-linked3 climate control when equipped with navigation
––Standard Active Sound Control
––Standard capless fuel fill
––Standard walk away auto locking system
––Available remote engine start
––Standard Apple CarPlay™4 and Android™ Auto5
––Standard driver’s knee airbag
––Standard Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)6
––Standard Road Departure Mitigation system7
––Standard Aha™8 compatibility
––Standard On Demand Multi-Use Display™ (ODMD™)
––Available 110-volt AC power outlet
• In addition, you’ll have to pay extra on the X5 sDrive35i/xDrive35i to get these standard MDX features:
––Leather appointed seating
––Keyless Access System with smart entry
––Multi-view rear camera9 (vs. single-view)
BMW X5 sDrive35i/xDrive35i advantages over Acura MDX
• More horsepower and torque (300 hp/300 lb-ft vs. 290 hp/267 lb-ft)
• Standard panoramic moonroof (vs. standard moonroof)
• Standard 14-way power front seats (vs. 10-way driver/8-way front passenger)
• Available 4-zone automatic climate control system (vs. standard tri-zone)
• Standard navigation system (vs. available)
• Standard parking sensors on all models (vs. available on MDX)
• Available Parking Assist
• Larger fuel capacity (22.4 gal. vs. 19.5 gal.)
• Higher standard towing capacity (6000 lb. vs. 3500/5000 lb.)
• Longer corrosion warranty (12 year/unlimited miles vs. 5 year/unlimited miles)
1 Based on 2018 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, and other factors.
2 The Agile Handling Assist system cannot enhance stability in all driving situations. You still need to drive and corner at speeds appropriate for the conditions and always leave a sufficient margin of safety.
3 Acura Navigation System and related features available only in the United States, Puerto Rico and parts of Canada. See your local Acura dealer for information regarding navigation system area coverage.
6 LKAS only assists driver in maintaining proper lane position when lane markings are identified without a turn signal in use and can only apply mild steering torque to assist. LKAS may not detect all lane markings; accuracy will vary based on weather, speed and road condition. System operation affected by extreme interior heat. Driver remains responsible for safely operating vehicle and avoiding collisions.
7 Road Departure Mitigation may not detect all lane markings or lane departures; accuracy will vary based on weather, speed and road conditions. System operation affected by extreme interior heat. Driver remains responsible for safely operating vehicle and avoiding collisions.
8 Compatible smartphone required. All Aha platform feeds are audible, not visual in nature. Vehicle does not provide any feeds. Some state laws prohibit the operation of handheld electronic devices while operating a vehicle. Launch smartphone applications only when the vehicle is safely parked. Aha is a trademark of HARMAN International Industries, Inc. Your wireless carrier’s rates may apply.
9 Always visually confirm that it is safe to drive before backing up, as the rearview camera and Rear Cross Traffic Monitor (if present) may not provide complete information about conditions at the rear of your vehicle. 10 Compatible with select smartphones. Your wireless carrier’s rate plans apply.